Sunday, June 05, 2005

Waribashi Alternatives - What are they?

I would like to put out a call for ideas regarding alternatives to using disposable utensils - chopsticks, plastic, etc... If you have any ideas please send them to me and I will post some in this blog.

In the above photo, I am trying to figure out what the heck I can do with the chopsticks during installation. It appears that the chopsticks don't stick to each other as well. The humidity level is much lower than in Japan during the rainy season when I first piloted the project. Also the ratio of wood to bamboo is different in thismix. More bamboo chospticks than wood, so they slid around more.

I will be at the gallery on Sunday, the last day of the show. I'll be selling chopsticks sets if anyone is interested.

The project was featured in the Saturday, June 4 edition of the San Francisco Chronicle which can be seen on SF Gate Datebook..

--